Thursday, July 07, 2005

Popping the Cherry


Ahhh...the original entry. Apologies in advance that this won't be the most stimulating post (nor blog, for that matter) since the hour is approaching 5am on a Thursday morning. Have been wanting to start one of these bloggy thangs for the past few weeks as I have found myself with many more leisure hours than should be legal after recently graduating from a grueling (time-wise rather than academic-wise), yet extremely worthwhile, one year MBA program here in Philly.

The past year has been a blur of lectures, presentations, happy hours, travels, excessive clowning around, more bottles of beer than necessary, and too much fun. Felt a lot like camp without the bunks, counselors, and mosquitoes. I daresay this blog will be, at least initially, a feeble attempt to recapture some of the memories from the last 12 months (probably through random references to happenings-past) and will most definitely result in reading material that induces coma in the average person. But I imagine, as with all things, I will move onto other topics...which will likely be equally as coma-inducing. Ah well...

Soooooooo...my life these days consists of:
  • Trying to get the company, which I am starting with two classmates from the MBA program, up and running and FUNDED so we don't starve for the rest of the summer. It's going remarkably well for not having a freaking clue about what we're doing. There are companies that are actually interested in buying what we have to sell. Phenomenal. I've always had the entrepreneurial gene in me & it's finally being expressed, but how I wish I had made more mistakes to learn from in my earlier years when I was instead working in damned corporate America like a monkey.
  • Riding on Philly's public transporation system, SEPTA, to get from the West Phila apartment I am subletting for the summer to Center City or any other part of the city that doesn't reek of urine and is void of trash-strewn sidewalks. Pain in the friggin' ass. Can't wait to move back toward civilization (read: East of 30th St. station) in Sept.
  • Filling my calendar with various events in the city. Since the summer began, I've been to the Lynnard Skynnard concert @ the Mann (note: can mark "Hear 'Freebird' played live" off the to do list of life), Live 8 (a sea of people with swatches of sweet performances), and the Elton John/Patti LaBelle July 4th concert (less than stellar, but something to do). Planning to hit the Mann as much as possible this month--I believe the enjoyment of the harmonious strains of an orchestra while on a blanket under a night sky to be a slice of heaven. (Side note: I just heard what sounded like 3 gunshots outside--I need to get the hell outta here.)
  • Acting like a college kid with the rest of my grad school buddies, a number of them unemployed, doing all of the above activities with them in addition to: watching flicks @ the Ritz, partaking of the occasional (well, more than occasional) frothy beverage, and whiling the nights away with 3 hour games of Trivial Pursuit at 2 in the morning.
  • Anticipating my older sister giving birth to my first niece. She'll be a July baby! I am insanely excited at the thought of becoming an aunt.

Methinks it is time to get some shuteye. 10am meeting. Of my own scheduling. Why do I do such things to myself?

2 Comments:

At Wed Aug 03, 06:59:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm. you spelled 'lynrd skynrd' wrong.

"i did my best, but i guess my best wasn't good enough..."

 
At Tue Aug 09, 01:26:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops, _i_ spelled 'lynyrd skynyrd' wrong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.comPay Per ClickPay Per Click Counter CounterData.comSearch Engine AdvertisingSearch Engine Advertising Counter